Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Little things....

OK, so this is so unlike me. But I figure Jeff is probably due for some nice words and I figure I'd make them count even more by putting them in writing for the world to see.

Our garage door opener has been behaving erratically over the last few weeks. It will open or close part of the way and then just stop, leaving me to disconnect it and manually and open the door so I can get my car out of the garage, usually at the most inopportune times.

So when it happened yesterday when I was already late to pick Cara up from school, I had to get out of my car, run in the house, through the front door, to get to the garage so I could close the it. But as any of you who have been to our house know, our front door handle is a piece of crap and it sticks. So I had to fight with it just to get inside and disconnect the garage door that decided to only close halfway once I had pulled my car out.

Once I was through with my ordeal, I called Jeff at work, as I often do when things at home are annoying me, and informed him of my frustrations with every entrance to our house. So I have to say, I felt a little bad when he came home from work last night bearing a new garage door opener.

He got to work on it immediately, only taking a break to eat dinner and finished around 10:30 last night (he is normally in bed about 10). I had no idea a garage door opener took so long to install, but I guess there are a lot of steps involved. But to appreciate my satisfaction with his work, I should illustrate what a difference this is from Jeff's normal evening routine. He usually comes home from work, finds his way to his "spot"on the couch, and basically parks there and watches TV until bedtime (taking breaks to put kids to bed, eat dinner, etc.).

Now, I know I frequently whine about my husband--not about anything big, but those little annoyances that after 10 years add up. But I thought it was so sweet of him to do that for me. He doesn't even park in the garage. And it wouldn't have killed me to park in the driveway for a few days. But I guess after 10 years of marriage, I've reached a new idea of romance when installing a new garage door opener so I don't have to park outside makes me smile. Thanks Jeff!

Now, if only I can get that front door handle fixed.... :)

4 comments:

Jo said...

I'm so proud of you, Kim! I know that wasn't easy (hee hee). Maybe a little more sweet talk will get you a new front door lock. Way to go Jeff!!

Pam said...

So Jeff can be nice? Just kidding I know that Jeff is a sweetheart in his own way. I think he is a great guy but don't let him know that I said that.

Suzanne said...

Ahhh, romance. Definitely different from when we first got married. When Michael puts all the kids in bed by himself, I nearly swoon.

AJsGirls said...

See, he does come in handy once in a while! That was seriously awesome of him. Nothing makes you fall in love more than a man that does stuff around the house, changes a diaper, or will clean up puke.