Sunday, April 27, 2008

Caught!

So a few weeks ago, I had just dropped the girls off at school and was reveling in my few hours of freedom from sibling arguments. The music was up and this hill was calling my name--begging me to ignore my brakes for just a few moments. I was singing along until I saw him--hiding behind a huge tow truck. Dangit! I had been caught. Pulled over. 41 MPH isn't that fast for a nice hill!

Now I was dressed for the gym. No make-up, hair in a ponytail and a bulky jacket over my not-so hot gym attire. I had nothing going for me and I was unfortunately not able to sweet talk my way out of this one. I recall my younger years when I was able to do this effortlessly. I think I had been pulled over like 5 times before getting my first --and only one until now.

I was still hopeful that he took pity on me or just plain forgot to turn in the citation (does that even happen?) but alas I just received the notice in the mail. Two Hundred Fifty Nine dollars, or $283 if I want to go to traffic school (plus the cost of the school).

When he was writing me the ticket, I asked him if I were to plead "not guilty," would he show up to court. He said it depended on what he had going on that day...I am contemplating this course of action just in hopes that it's his day off.

I know I deserve it, I speed all the time. In fact, I think speed limits (especially on freeways) are kind of stupid anyhow. I know my unrepentant attitude isn't good and I admit I broke the rules, lots of times in fact...but I just hate having to pay for it :)

6 comments:

Pam said...

Bummer! I know how you feel I have gotten two in two years and now I drive like an old lady. But of course, I did not deserve mine....I never speed. If you do traffic school, take the on-line one it is very easy!

Kaye said...

First of all, I am jealous that you have been able to "cute" your way out of a ticket. I have NEVER been able to do that. One of my life's goals is to be able to get out of a ticket....scary what I strive for! Sorry about the massive $ amount...that is the worst!

Jo said...

I agree with Kaye. I'm so impressed that you were ever able to talk your way out of a ticket. But that's too bad you couldn't do it this time. Don't give up. There will be other ones I'm sure.

Liz Rose said...

I hate speeding tickets!!! I believe I've had two in my days.. :(
I however got my friend out of a ticket...she got pulled over because she pulled out of the restaurant without her lights on for a block...(sisters car, couldn't find them right away) The officer said, "Where are you girls headed so late at night"--I said, "Home, Officers, because the Holy Ghost goes to bed at Midnight." He smiled and let us on our way. :)

Kim said...

Yeah-like I said, I know I deserve it because I speed all the time...but I just hate that I'm losing my touch :(

Rae said...

I can completely sympathize with you. I got a speeding ticket the first day we lived back here. I still had packed boxes in the car and everything. But I totally deserved it. Driving around in Colby's convertible, music blaring just makes my foot a little too heavy.