Thursday, June 5, 2008

My New Favorite Store

I just got back from my new fav grocery store--and I usually hate grocery shopping. It's one of my least favorite chores. Have any of you been to that store Fresh & Easy? This was my second time going and to be honest, I kind of liked it the first time, but this time I decided that I really like them. Maybe it was because I didn't have my kids with me. All errands seems more enjoyable without having drag around 2 kids. But here's what I like about it:

1) They have reserved parking spaces for parents with small children--if Vons can reserve spaces for their Starbucks customers then why not those who have to haul around kids.

2) Good deals!! At first glance I thought their prices were kind of high, but going the day after my regular grocery store, I notice that they are pretty good and I don't need a dumb card to get the better price. Plus, I had a $5 of $20 coupon and they gave me another one when I checked out. In addition to that, they had lots of stuff that was marked 1/2 off. I don't get that at the regular grocery store when their eggplants are close to expiration.

3) Their produce-they have it all pre-packaged with the price right there..none of this "$1 a pound". I can look at a package of pears and see that it $1.50 for 4. with the packaging, they include a sell by date. Plus they have a good selection of organic stuff that doesn't cost an arm and leg.

4) Free Samples: who doesn't love free food and I don't have to go to the $100 store to get it. I got a yummy recipe for this yogurt granola thing that I went home and had for lunch. They always have the samples, but since it was morning, they had an assortment of different breakfast pastries and other good stuff. mmmm...
5) Friendly Workers: This can be a deal breaker for me. I hate unhelpful or crabby employees and I refuse to shop at a couple of stores for this reason. Everyone seemed happy to be working there and acted like they actually wanted me to shop at their store. What a concept!!

Overall, it kind of reminds me of Trader Joes, but they also carry national brands as well as their own brand. It's smaller than Vons or Ralphs, but they seemed to have a lot of the kids of stuff I buy. So I encourage you all to go by if you haven't yet. The only downside is that it's on the other side of Simi at Alamo and Tapo, but it was worth the drive for me.

2 comments:

Suzanne said...

I will have to see if there are any out here. I HATE grocery shopping with a passion (or could it be shopping with kids?).

Jo said...

I went there the first week it opened and really liked it. It's just a little far for a quick stop-in.