Friday, May 16, 2008

Random Acts of Kindness?

It seems that lately I have been the recipient of random acts of kindness and I can't figure out why. When I spoke with Lori about this, she had no insight and couldn't understand why people would be nice to me either. :)
Now what is kind of throwing me off is that the people being nice to me are people that I don't really know very well or at all. I am so lucky to have awesome friends and they are always doing sweet things for me; watching my kids, letting me ride with them all the way down to San Diego, cutting my hair, or just acknowledging me in public.
But earlier this week, I got mail from someone who went on vacation and thought enough of me to send me a postcard. It was kind of her to think of me but she was not someone who I speak with all that much and I know when I went to Mexico last year, I didn't even think about her (rude of me to admit that isn't it).
Then again yesterday I was dropping the girls off at school and Natie comes running up to me with this cute canvas bag that another mom had made for her. It had her name in glitter and little ballerinas appliqued on it. Again, It was nice to think of her/me. The mom came up and asked me if she liked the bag. Of course she was thrilled, and I was touched that she would think to do that for her. But before this, I had never met her or spoken to her and I don't remember Natalie ever mentioning the little girl. She is another class altogether, and she didn't make one for other kids in Natie's class so I was a bit baffled by her kindness.
Am I just totally cynical for even posting about this? Don't get me wrong, I appreciate that people are kind. Maybe it's my own guilt that I don't randomly select people to be nice to....

5 comments:

Kaye said...

Isn't it nice when other people are nice? See, I'm not a naturally nice person, so I love hearing about how easy it is for other people to be. Something to work towards....not you, me. I think you are one of those "nice" people!

Jo said...

I agree. It is baffling when people are just randomly nice. But you are often times one that I'm baffled by ie: making Carly's 1st Halloween costume. So, I think it's just carma coming right back at you!

Liz Rose said...

I would agree with Jo....planning a whole day down at the Price is Right for somebody's 30th birthday.....arranging all day babysitters....:)

Anonymous said...

What you have experienced lately are not really acts of kindness. Rather, it is something called grooming. Perverts and such do it to get there victim at ease before they pounce. So instead of this being a good thing, maybe you ought to check your six and look out for the bad things to start happening. Good luck.
Your Loving Brother,
Matt

Kim said...

I knew it!! there had to be something fishy..You guys all make me smile :)