It kind of seems late to actually post about my job since I've technically been there since February. But since it's now official that they're actually going to PAY me to design, I thought it was post worthy :)
I had the opportunity to intern with Deborah Davis for a day in October last year. In January, she called and asked if I was interested in interning for her. So for the past three months, I've been working on Mondays and Wednesdays, but I've been earning course credit instead of a paycheck. I was happy to continue working for free since I was learning so much and actually loving what I was doing. But when I asked Deborah about continuing my internship, she said that based on my work she just wanted to hire me (before I've even finished school!!).
As of Friday, I am officially gainfully employed working for Deborah Davis Design. The firm does both residential and commercial design but most projects lately have been commercial. Her biggest client is actually E! Entertainment, (which also includes Style Network, G4 and I think the new Fear channel too). So her office is located in their corporate offices, which is a bit of a commute, but I actually appreciate the time I get to myself while I'm driving (plus I get to satisfy my love of the city by working in the heart of LA).
I'll continue working two to three days a week in the office and I'll be able to work from home other days-my boss is super cool and practical about this. I've done work on some interesting projects and I've already been given lead on two designs (including Joel McHale's office).

Here are a couple of pictures from one of the jobs I worked on. It's a shampoo room for Chelsea Handler.
So, if you think I've fallen off the face of the earth, I haven't. It's just been busy around here with 9 units of classes, the internship and all the rest of my mommy/wife jobs. Even with all the craziness though, I am loving every minute of it :)
7 comments:
Livin' the dream!! Good for you!
So very, very cool!
K I think you need to make me a shampoo room!
That is so exciting. I loved how you staged our condo. If you are ever in the Ogden, Utah area, stop by and desidn my main floor....it's too white and boring.
Congrats Kim! How exciting that you found your "nitch" in life and it is so fitting! Can't wait to see more of your work! :)
Congrats! How exciting for you. E! that is awesome.
That's so awesome! The pictures are even better than you describing it.
Post a Comment