Tuesday, April 21, 2009

The Bribe

I don't know how many of you parents have experienced this phenomenon when you have a child who loves and article of clothing and it it is worn no matter what.



Natalie has been wearing these brown boots since I think Kindergarten (apparently, my kids have my feet that don't grow very fast). She wears them with pants, skirts and (my personal favorite) shorts. She wears them when it's cold and when it's hot. She wears them for hiking, running and you name it. With the exception of church, she wears these things everywhere. I have grown quite tired of these boots. She has an entire basket of shoes (if you know me, you will find this entirely plausible) that she never wears.

Well, they were beginning to look pretty ratty and I have been searching for an acceptable replacement. I have no problem letting her wear boots in the summer, but they need to be presentable. Unfortunately, now is not the time to be looking for boots, unless you want rubber ones for the rain.

So despite my requests, Natalie has continued to wear these horrible boots ...until today!! When we were shopping for new shoes for Easter a couple of weeks ago, she happened upon these cute red sneakers that she really wanted. I told her no at the time because I was focused on the task at hand. However, yesterday I had the brilliant idea of bribing her. I would buy her those red shoes, but in exchange, she would have to give me the boots. I wasn't sure that she would go for it, but sure enough, she loved the idea. I thought about ceremoniously burning them, but I'll just be happy to huck them in the trash.


Here are the new shoes (she loved posing for the pciture). Don't you think every girl should have at least one pair of red shoes? :)

9 comments:

Suzanne said...

Excellent use of bribery! The red shoes are very cute, but does every girl need just ONE pair of red shoes?

Lovio Fam said...

I totally agree with the red shoes, you have got to start them early. :)

AJsGirls said...

I have a confession! Everytime I see Natalie she is wearing the boots, I think to myself that it is really strange that Kim would be OK with them. Glad to hear the situation is resolved. :)

McB's said...

Sometimes the bribing is so worth it! Those red shoes are very cute. Great thinking and I really think you need a burial for the boots since that was probably a hard thing for her to do and such a sweet satisfaction for you,hehe.

cooksonclan said...

What??? You made her get rid of her dumpy brown boots? Don't you notice that everytime you see me, I am wearing my old, worn-out, dumpy brown cowboy boots? :) And I admit... I have even worn them to church, but not with shorts! (That would be a site)Ha,ha! And it doesn't get better even when they get to high school! Kyla has baskets full of cute shoes, too. They all look brand new, because she only wears the same old, beat up ones. I don't get it? Natalie must have got it from her father! Not from you! You have such fabulous footwear fancy! (You and your cute little feet) You could have had a little boy (Scott) whose father bought him some gay light up shoes with velcro tops! They were his favorite and I hated them! It was a constant battle! Too bad you don't have dogs that "accidently" chewed them up when you "accidently" left them outside! :) hummm

Kim said...

Dang! I could have done that months ago if we had a dog. If someone had bought her light up shoes, I would have borrowed a dog just to feed them to it. I absolutely hate those things.

Liz-too funny. I've had to pick my battles with this child.

Pam said...

She does have great taste though! I love the red shoes:) Bribery works!!

Andrea said...

I love red shoes. I have 4 pairs! I do have to admit I have never noticed those boots, so they can't be that bad.

Rosey Posey said...

There's no shoes like boots, There's no shoes like boots." Not anymore. The red shoes are a nice upgrade : )