Thursday, October 9, 2008

Creepy Phone Calls

I have a separate land line here at the house for business calls and the last 2 weeks I've had a couple of strange calls come in. They occur between the hours of midnight and 3am. The first 2 times it happened, I just hung up on the calls without answering because who should be calling my business line at midnight? I couldn't just let it ring because I didn't want to wake up everyone in the house.

When it happened again last night, I decided to actually answer it. I figured it may be a sales call from another country who is completely unaware of our time zone... And I was going to answer to educate them :)

So I answer the phone and it's some guy. He calls me Kim (not Kimberly, which is what I usually get called by salespeople) and asks how I'm doing. He told me his name (but right now, I can't remember it because it was 12am and you know how when you get woken up in the middle of sleep it's hard to remember details?) So this guy wanted to shoot the breeze with me and wanted to know what I was up to. Um...it was the middle of the night and this was totally ticking me off. Not so much that I got a strange call, but that he was talking all throaty and acting like he knew me. This conversation actually lasted a mere 30 seconds (if that). When I told him that now wasn't a good time to talk (I guess I'm extra polite to creeps when I'm woken up) he asked why it wasn't a good time!! Why?!! I just hung up on him then.

Something you may not know about me is that when pushed into fight/flight mode, I'll usually fight. I don't know why, but I can't stand the thought of someone getting away with that kind of crap. So first thing, I decide to *69 this guy and see why he's making calls to me in the middle of the night and disturbing my much needed sleep. Of course he's got his number blocked. So I decide to call the phone company to see how I can get a hold of him and/or block his number. No help there. They were happy to try to sell me additional services. Some guy there named Kenny Wagner (yup, I was takin' names) was especially rude and unhelpful. They referred me to their "call annoyance line," whatever that is. You don't get to talk to a real person but they'll send you some stuff in the mail...yadda, yadda....

I know I could file a report, but honestly that seems a bit overkill. I won't change the number because I'd have to change all my business cards and materials. Besides, the number is posted on our website, so it's not like it's private or anything. This is just creepy and annoying....Anyone else have experience with this type of thing?

5 comments:

McB's said...

Maybe he saw you around town and thought you were a hot babe and now you have a midnight stalker! I'm surprised he didn't call you right back after you hung up on him.

Pam said...

A secret stalker...cool! He obviously does not know you very well...calling you at midnight. What an idiot! Hopefully he learned his lesson, that could be scary...for him that is. ha ha

Jo said...

Okay that is just freaky! I guess I watch too much Law & Order, but I'm freaked out for you. Not to freak you out, but that freaks me out a little..... eeeek!

Kaye said...

Maybe he saw you and thinks you are a hottie....I'd take it as a compliment :)

AJsGirls said...

I had someone call the other morning when I was in the shower...I got out to answer it and I hear all kinds of noise in the background and the guys burps SO loud but says nothing, so I take a deep breath and let out the loudest, high pitch scream I could come up with. Scared the crap out of him! That'll teach anyone to get me out of the shower!