So on Tuesday, Feb. 5th, Natalie was in her room (would you believe that she was on a time out??). She took down her ladder from her bed and was apparently using it as a balance beam when I heard her blood-curdling scream. She had twisted her ankle and was not walking on it. Now she would not let me put ice on it--I don't know why, but for some reason, this child will not let me ice anything on her when she gets hurt, so I found an ace bandage to wrap it up and that seemed to appease her. I did call my mom to make sure that I wasn't a neglectful parent and she confirmed that the doctor wouldn't do anything for a sprained ankle, so I just let her hop around on it and sent her off to school the next morning. Her mouth, brain and hands worked great. She was happy and not complaining. She did ask me for crutches and I gave her the only reason that seems to satisfy when my answer is "No"...I told her they were too expensive.
I felt fine with my decision, until I got a call from the school. They were wondering what had happened to her (translation: what kind of mother sends their kindergartner to school hopping on one foot, without a doctor's note...and by the way, did you have something to do with this injury?) Apparently her teacher had sent her up to the office for recess and Natalie wanted the helper in the office to carry her back to class.
Of course this phone call was enough to send us to the doctor right after school. And like I had figured-- it was just a sprain. The doctor looked at her ankle, re-bandaged it and offered to give her crutches. Natalie was elated at the prospect of crutches--those which mom had said were too expensive. And the doctor seemed a little puzzled when Natalie informed him of this fact. When he presented her with the crutches, you would have thought she had just been given a pony. She spent the rest of the day practicing walking on them so by Thursday she could really move using those things.
How is she doing now? Well, by Friday, she had given up the crutches and was running everywhere she went again!
1 comments:
I think that next time she should shoot for a wheel chair. that would be awesome!! I can just see her racing down the street poppin' wheelies as she goes
Post a Comment